Saturday, May 28, 2022

Art Elements Analysis

 

This week I have selected the work of Wolf Kahn. This piece is titled, In a Red Space. It is oil paint on linen and was completed in 1992. Wolf is an American artist, and his work is displayed at art museums throughout the United States (U.S. Dept. of State, 2022).

 I love the artist's use of COLOR in this painting. Many of Kahn's works have this layering of color with the earthy yellows and greens at the bottom building into more vibrant sunset like colors at the top. The TONE is bright and inviting. The trees are softly painted, and the artist avoids the use of hard/rigid LINES giving the painting a free feeling. The trees take the SHAPE of a dome, again making use of soft edges to give the piece an ethereal quality. This painting, with its use of color and loose form, makes me feel hopeful, excited, and peaceful at once. In a Red Space is 52x60 inches. I would love to look at this every day. I would hang it in my home or at work. 

Reference

U.S. Dept. of State. Art in Embassies. (28 May 2022). Wolf Kahn.                                                                    (online). https://art.state.gov/personnel/wolf_kahn/

3 comments:

  1. Regan, I love this piece of art! The colors are so vibrant, and since the lines are not overly defined, it gives the trees almost a delicate look and feel. I also really like that this can be interpreted as sunrise or sunset, as the colors saturate the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the art you chose to talk about. I was not familiar with the artist but I really love the colors in this oil painting. The color was the first thing I noticed when looking at this piece. It creates an uplifting sense because of the colors changing from teal to orange. From the changing colors climbing up as the trees and the colors get lighter as the oil colors fade to the top of the piece. The lines of the trees create’s a pattern and spaces out the piece very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Caitlyn that this is a very uplifting image based on the color selection! I feel like I have seen some similar pieces reflecting birch trees at some of the summertime gift shops. At first look I missed the dome shape until I read your post. Cool find!

    ReplyDelete

Artwork of India-Non-Western Art

 The artwork of India is as diverse as its people, its countries include (see below) Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, and Nepal (Wiki...