Monday, May 30, 2022

Mannerism and the Late Italian Renaissance

 

Playing Putto (Musician Angel), 1518 - Rosso Fiorentino - WikiArt.org

This work, Playing Putto (Musician Angel), by Rosso Fiorentino, was produced in 1518 and is displayed at the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, Italy (Wikiart, 2022). Fiorentino worked with oil, as in the picture above, and fresco (mural art). Rosso, thus named for his red hair, was a Mannerism influenced painter of the late Italian Renaissance. Mannerism is a style that used distortion or disfiguration and was a departure from the more finite and realistic work of the time (Gečaite, 2003). Both mannerism and humanism are evident in this piece. Fiorentino fled to France following the 'Sack of Rome' where he remained until his death in 1540 (WikiArt, 2022). 

I would have this print in my home. Unlike much of the work of the Italian and Northern Renaissance, there is a simplicity to this piece that makes it relatable and enduring. I like the use of shadows and light. Rosso uses a technique popular in this era, Chiaroscuro, making his angelic musician come to life. The eye is focused on the serene expression and the delicate hand in the forefront. The hand is childlike but elegant. The color is bold and the hue, vibrant. I appreciate the dark background. I believe it helps to focus the piece and gives it a timeless feel against the gold of the instrument. 


                                                                References

WikiArt. Visual Art Encyclopedia. (20 May 2022). Rosso Fiorentino.                                                 (online). https://www.wikiart.org/en/rosso-fiorentino/playing-putto-musician-angel-1518

Gečaite, R. (2003). Mannerism: Islam and Western Art. Dialogue & Universalism13(1/2),             167.


4 comments:

  1. I agree with you - this piece really is simple, yet timeless and enduring. The contrast in colors appeals to me - the vibrancy on the wings, next to the pale skin and hair. I enjoyed reading about the history of this piece. I think you missed the part of the assignment where you need to site a source or give an example for the influence of the art, but maybe its there and didn't stand out to me. Looking at the image again, the artist truly made it seem so life like, with the darker shadow on the elbows, very humanism. Also the shadowing on the face, this piece is a great choice for this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this painting is so simple, yet it captivates me. The longer I look at it the more I love it. I especially enjoy the vibrant colors and the facial expression of the child. When I look at it all I can feel is relaxed. Love this painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore this work of art! For me, it brings on that serene feeling of taking an afternoon nap on a gloomy day. The detail that is put into the hair is really captivating, and Fiorentino used chiaroscuro is captivating. I appreciate the use of color in the wings - the red brings a sense of warmth to these angelic little wings! I will admit that I don’t always love the distortions used in Mannerism, but I am rather fond of it in this painting. This is definitely something I would display in my own home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something incredibly calming about this painting. The child is at rest and is lazily strumming on the instrument, perhaps not intending to play anything at all. This reminds me of being rained in on a summer day aa a child and remember that period of my life in which each day was kind of timeless in its own right and certainly not as finite as they seem now. This painting mixes the anatomical correctness of naturalism with the wings which lend it a touch of mannerism.

    ReplyDelete

Artwork of India-Non-Western Art

 The artwork of India is as diverse as its people, its countries include (see below) Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, and Nepal (Wiki...