Thursday, June 16, 2022

Baroque Era Art

 

The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp by Rembrandt van Rijn (arthistoryproject.com)


This painting is oil on canvas, painted by Rembrandt in 1963, presumably in Amsterdam.  It is one of his earlier works and is on display at Mauritshuis at the Hague, in the Netherlands (WikiArt, 2022). This work shows doctors under the tutelage of Dr. Tulp as they study the anatomy of the arm. Some of the men pictured were doctors that paid commissions to be included in the painting (WikiArt, 2022). That one way to be immortalized! Work is still done with cadavers to advance scientific knowledge (Lutz, 2012). Religious themes dominate this time period, and this painting is no exception. The cadaver was a convicted robber (WikiArt, 2022).

Personally, I have negative feelings about the Baroque period. The work is dark and eerie. The canvas is often filled with dark space as seen above. The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp does carry the feeling of being right in the action as was characteristic of the Baroque era. The use of Chiaroscuro is still used heavily during this period, a carryover from the Renaissance like used in Six Tuscan Poets (1569) by Giorgio Vasari

Lutz, A. (14 June 2012). Here's What Really Happens To The 20,000 Bodies                     Donated To Science Each Year In The US. (online). InsiderFacts About    Cadavers (businessinsider.com)

WikiArt. Visual Art Encyclopedia. (2022). The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes                 Tulp. (online). WikiArt.org - Visual Art Encyclopedia

3 comments:

  1. I also did my post on the anatomy lesson painting. I didn’t know that people paid to be in the painting, I find that super interesting! If I were them, I would probably do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting back story to this painting! With a background in surgical technology, I admit I am weirdly drawn to this piece. The coloring of the corpse is so dramatic against the warm tones of the scientists/doctors. I agree a lot of the baroque pieces are eerie and this one takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I will say that one of the aspects of Baroque art that I love is the use of dark spaces - I enjoy the dark and eerie stuff, and I think this painting is incredible! I think the pallor of the cadaver almost resembles that of a statue.. almost. You can still tell from the tone that it is a deceased person. The detail in the facial expressions of the onlookers is really intricate; it captures the moment perfectly. But the detail in the dissected arm is what really stands out to me. The muscle and ligaments are so perfectly depicted. I like how the shadows fall over the body of the deceased, and weirdly I am also a fan of the attire they are wearing in this picture. I appreciate that this seems to be a formal event.

    ReplyDelete

Artwork of India-Non-Western Art

 The artwork of India is as diverse as its people, its countries include (see below) Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, and Nepal (Wiki...